Landmark, award-winning infrastructure project
- Regional Rail Link is a landmark, award-winning infrastructure project designed to remove bottlenecks in the Australian state of Victoria’s rail network by separating metropolitan and regional trains to improve reliability and offer new services.
- The $3.9 billion project comprised 45 km of new rail track, 25 bridges, five new upgraded stations and five grade separations.
- The KBR Arup (KAJV) design joint venture undertook the concept design for the entire alignment and was subsequently awarded the development of reference designs and technical advisor support for the procurement and construction phases.
- The multidisciplinary design team worked in tandem with the client and stakeholder organizations to investigate options at the concept design stage, which included possible tunnel alignments, alternative grade separation configurations and elements of early works to expedite project delivery.
- The reference design delivered by the KAVJ team was largely carried through to the final design and construction, underlining the robustness of the early design stages.
- The design team successfully delivered the concept design for the entire alignment within 140 days of appointment to meet critical deadlines.
- Early delivery of critical elements of the project alignment was facilitated by the team’s ability to carry out final design and documentation for new rail infrastructure prior to the appointment of the main construction packages.
- Premier’s Sustainability Award – Victorian State Government and Sustainability Victoria (2014)
- National Infrastructure Award for Best Australian Project – Infrastructure Partnerships Australia (2014)
- Gold Quill Award for Excellence in Community Relations – International Association of Business Communicators (2015)